Happy New Year! It is time to invite you or your team of sculptors to submit an entry for the 2020-2021 Cloverdale sculpture Trail, a juried exhibit begining April 30th. The exhibit is a recurring yearly exhibit entering its 17th year with the 2020-2021 public art display.
Next Exhibition Dates: May 1, 2020 – April 29, 2021
The goals of the Cloverdale Sculpture Trail are to promote public art that is available to the Cloverdale community and visitors, bringing awareness of public art to all ages and ethnicities. Additionally to ignite the imagination and foster conversation and interaction
To bring awareness to the 2020-2021 Sculpture Trail and the exhibiting sculptors we provide the following:
- Grand Opening Reception to meet and greet the artists on June 6th.
- Media releases. We have added a volunteer independent freelance writer to our team to increase media exposure.
- Printed brochures distributed in key tourism areas in Sonoma County and downloadable from our web site.
- Calendar listings including media, radio stations, art organizations, Sonoma County Tourism Bureau.
- Listing in the Sonoma County Visitors Guide.
- A sign next to each sculpture with artist name, sculpture title, name of sponsor. If a sculpture on display is for sale it will be noted on the sculptor sign and at our website.
- “Sculpture Spotlight” appears in the Cloverdale Reveille showcasing a different sculptor every few weeks and at our website.
Below you will find guidelines and timeline for the 2020-2021 exhibit. There’s a linked PDF of the entry form to print out and mail, or to fill and send on line. Entry deadline is February 29, 2020. There is no entry fee.
Exhibit Selection Committee
- Harvey Brody
- Harvey has been a studio artist for 40 years creating art in France and Northern California, exhibiting in France, New York and San Francisco. Twenty-five of those years were spent working with clay, including stoneware and porcelain and low-fire ceramics, creating both functional and sculptural work. His studio pursuits after 1986 included mixed media jewelry and mixed media functional and sculptural work as well as collages. He began painting in 2010.
- Janet Howell
- Owner of J. Howell Fine Art Gallery located in Healdsburg, on the Plaza, and for many years former Director of the Carmel Art Association founded in 1927. Janet produced three books on early California art featuring artists E. Charlton Fortune, Percy Gray and Rip Matteson.
- Sandy Erickson
- Co-owner and Director of the Erickson Gallery in Healdsburg. The gallery showcases contemporary paintings, sculptures and mixed media works by local and internationally known artists, with an emphasis on artists from Northern California. Sandy produced an art book, Joe Draegert, An American Artist.
“Best of Show” ($1,000), “First Place” ($500) and “Honorable Mention” ($250) will be awarded. Each sculptor selected to exhibit will receive $250 from a sponsor to assist with expenses. This year we are able to add $100, from a grant received for the 2020-2021 Trail, to the $250 for a total of $350.
Video and Otocast
We will again produce a video on the participating 2020-2021 sculptors to show at the opening reception and then viewed at our website and You Tube. A narrated, audio, self-guided walking tour with audio from the actual artists will be available through Otocast. The Trail can be explored worldwide by downloading from Google Play or Apple App Store the free Otocast app and search for Cloverdale.
If you are not familiar with Cloverdale, it is a town 80 miles north of San Francisco on Highway 101. Cloverdale is known for its small town ambiance, history, wine tasting and burgeoning arts community. Sculptures in Cloverdale wander through the easily walkable downtown area and beyond.
- January 2, 2020
- Call Sent Out
- February 29, 2020
- Deadline for receipt of entries
- By March 14, 2020
- Artists will be notified of selection
- April 30, 2020
- Installation of selected 2019-2020 sculptures
- By May 6, 2020
- Winners notified
- June 6, 2020 – 5:00 to 7:30 pm
- Opening Reception at the Cloverdale Performing Art Center, 209 N. Cloverdale Blvd.
- April 29, 2021
- Removal of the 2020-2021 exhibit sculptures
How to Enter & Criteria (Instructions are also on PDF form)
- How to Enter – Criteria
- No Entry Fee
- Multiple pieces may be submitted. Fill out an entry form for each piece you are going to submit.
- Submit a photo of the completed sculpture(s) to be entered, or a detailed sketch if not yet completed (jpg accepted).
- Submit a description of the work(s): size, composition, how it will be stable and safe for the viewing public. (No sharp edges, no moving sculpture parts, etc.). Note: Most sculptures will be placed on concrete sidewalks & must be free standing. No bolting into the sidewalks. A few areas are available for staking.
- Submit a resume.
- Submit a specific artist statement about work(s) to be entered; maximum of 200 words per each entry.
- A general artist statement; maximum of 200 words
- 2 photographs of recent work identified by sculptor’s name in jpeg format not to exceed 1.5 MB in size. Images will be returned if sent by mail.
- Sculptures must be maintenance free, able to withstand heat, sun, wind, sprinklers, rain, children, and crowds. Size should be of sufficient scale for an outdoor, open-air exhibit space.
- Selection is at the discretion of the Selection Committee. Selected pieces will be reviewed by the City of Cloverdale for the viewing public’s safety.
- Each artist will be responsible for set-up and costs beyond the $350 provided each sculptor. If you need extra hands, please bring them along. A forklift can be scheduled to off-load and place sculptures, and to reload at the end of exhibit. There is no charge for the use of the forklift.
- All reasonable care & precaution will be taken to ensure the safety of the sculptures. Insurance to cover loss or damage of sculptures will not be provided. We encourage you to arrange your own loss or damage coverage. Exhibiting artists are required to sign a Waiver, Release and Indemnity Agreement form prior to installation. It is recommended you have liability insurance. We cannot provide liability insurance contact your insurance carrier.
The PDF Call For Artists Entry Form can be filled out and automatically sent by email using the “Send Entry Form” button at the top and bottom of the form. If you prefer it can be printed and mailed to the address supplied on the form.